Activity: Blue Sky
What you'll need:
- Tall clear drinking glass or clear soda bottle
- Milk (whole milk works best)
- Drinking straw
Make it happen!
- Darken the room by closing shades and turning off the lights.
- Shine the light through the glass of water. What color is the light coming from the flashlight? What color is the light as it travels through the glass? (You might want to put a sheet of white paper on the far side of the glass to help you see the color.)
- Fill the straw with about an inch of milk, add it to the glass of water, and mix with the straw. (If you are using a soda bottle, you will need to use more milk, cap the bottle, and shake gently.)
- Shine a flashlight at the top of the glass of water. What color is the light coming from the flashlight? What color is the light as it travels through the glass? What color is the light on the far side of the glass?
- If you don't see any change in color, add a couple drops of milk to the mixture and try again.